Thursday, September 17, 2009

New Projects

Pastel, 18" x 24", on Art Spectrum paper

It takes me a few days to settle in to a location before I feel ready to paint. Prior to that I traveled the countryside taking hundreds of shots for future reference, food shopped, and socialized on my annual August pilgrimage, I finally got busy on the Cobalt Farmhouse property.

I have painted this corner of the world often and continue to find it a beautiful, challenging, user friendly place to paint. The sky was totally spectacular, bubbling and erupting endlessly. I think I might have been better served to have concentrated on the sky only.

Having my creative juices flowing, it felt good to do some work in a beloved area with a lot of history for me. I have wanted to do this sort of experimentation with some rather toxic chemistry available to me in the Cobalt storeroom. These paints and potions for the scenic painting trade, are not in my studio anymore since I donated most of my
materials from my decorative painting years to Materials for the Arts. I picked from the vast array materials amassed over 20 years of teaching Theatre Arts. I worked outside to minimize my reactions to these materials, and wailed away.

Same fields, slightly different angle
Oil, 26" x22", on canvas

This canvas has been painted over now, 2 years in a row, not yet satisfied. I may do another from the painting itself. Working on site, I do feel obligated to paint what I see, if I redo it in the studio, I will be more likely to do a freer and colorful version.



First experiment, tinted shellas, aniline dyes, over-glazed, 12" x 12"

Tinted shellac and aniline dyes over-glazed with oil glazes,
12" x 16", on canvas

The morning sunrise (yes I was awakened by the color flooding my bedroom) was so great after days of grey weather that I ran out doors like a loonie to photograph it, The feeling remained and spilled over into the work shown here.

Tinted shellac and aniline dyes over-glazed, 6" x 9", on board

This is the painting for Artists Fellowship Fundraiser.
Small size canvases are no less problematic then larger ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment